February 22, 2013:
We have started to build a new camper. We’re posting a page with our progress and will update it as the Teardrop takes shape. We will be using pre-manufactured doors on this model, and we are excited to see how it turns out.
This Teardrop Camper will be for sale upon completion. If you would like to own it, contact us by clicking the link at the top of the page!
Underside of Camper Floor coated with rubber undercoating.
We line the outer underside of the Camper with rubber undercoating to protect the wood from water and mud.
Camper sides cut out and ready for stain and polyurethane.
The sides of the camper are cut out and pre-drilled, and ready for stain, and 3 coats of marine spar polyurethane on the exterior, and lacquer on the interior.
Camper partition shelf ready for stain and lacquer.
Camper shelves and partitions ready for stain and lacquer.
We’ll continue to update this page, as construction progresses.
Jenn & Brian
February 24th, 2013
All the camper parts have been cut out and prepared. We’re staining the exterior of this one, and leaving the interior natural. The exterior sides have been stained and the first coat of marine spar polyurethane has been applied. This process is time-consuming as each coat has to dry thoroughly before the surface is lightly sanded, and the next coat applied. The end result is a long-lasting, durable and attractive finish.
The interior surfaces will be lacquered.
Exterior of camper side, stained and first coat of polyurethane applied.
February 26th, 2013
The doors for this camper arrived yesterday! Tinted windows, and a half-screen on the top half of each door. Latches, locks, these are sweet!
Door frame laid out on camper side.
Camper Door: Tinted windows, half-screen, lock & latch!
Having doors with screened windows that can be opened and closed will make ventilation easy even when the camper top is closed.
Brian got the first coat of interior lacquer on last night. It’s coming along nicely!
March 3, 2013:
All pieces are ready to be assembled. Brian cut out the door openings and prepared the sides yesterday. Vinyl flooring on the camper bottom is visible in one of the photos. He should be assembling the camper in the next day or two! Stay tuned for more updates!
Passenger’s Side ready for assembly!
Driver’s side prepared for assembly!
March 4th, 2013
Brian has started assembling the camper today. There is still much work to do, but it’s starting to resemble the finished product!
View of front end of Camper.
View of side of Camper.
Brian at work: Sanding one of the Camper components.
Cedar supports for the screen top. Cedar smells nice and helps repel insects.
Partition support, and soon, the galley hatch!
March 14th, 2013 Update:
Between cold and rainy weather, and other things going on, Brian has been busy with a few other things this past week, but he has made some progress. We hope to have this one finished in a week or so. Nobody has bought it yet, but we’ve had lots of inquiries, so hopefully this one will have a new home soon.
Screen roof installed!
View of Screen Roof from Galley area.
Camper Hatch is assembled!
View of Camper interior. Not too cozy just yet, but soon it will be comfy and inviting.
March 17th, 2013 Update:
Brian got a lot done yesterday. It’s getting close to completion which means I need to get out the sewing machine to complete the vinyl roof and interior curtains!
The camper is now on the trailer. The hatch is installed, as well as the exterior trim.
Galley hatch is installed.
Camper is on the trailer and exterior trim is installed.
Another view of camper exterior with trim installed.
More to come later today! Electrical outlets to be installed, and interior accessories, roof, and doors and mattress. It’s almost ready!
Measuring the Marine Vinyl for the convertible top.
Marine Vinyl laid out over the camper for measuring.
Marine Vinyl laid out over camper for measuring.
Convertible Vinyl Roof on the sewing machine.
Keeping with the ‘vintage’ theme of our campers, the vinyl roof is sewn on a 1976 Kenmore sewing machine. Honestly, I don’t think a more modern, residential-use type machine could do the job - at least not without spending a fortune on a heavy-duty machine. A needle used for leather stitching, and a rolling presser foot make this old machine work the vinyl easily. And since pinning the hem isn’t an option, bobby pins work just fine!
March 17, 2013
We’ve got a lot done this weekend, despite having to work at our aquarium shop. We’re closer and closer to completion!
While Brian put the snaps on the camper roof…
Snap fasteners being put on convertible top.
… I was busy getting the curtains done!
The curtain allows campers to roll up a portion of the vinyl roof, making a screened window, without sacrificing privacy. We include tie-backs with snap fasteners to secure the roof in an open position.
Final update of the night: Vinyl roof is complete, and a few other fine details tweaked.
Hatch with vinyl cover installed.
Camper with vinyl roof installed.
Tomorrow: Doors, futon mattress, trailer fenders and trailer lights. We’re almost done!
March 18, 2013 Update:
DOORS! We have doors! This is our first build using pre-fabricated doors, and I’ve been eager to see what they’d look like. Please forgive the reflections in the photos, and workshop stuff in the background, it’s cold and rainy today, so not a good day to take it out for some proper staging pictures. Soon, hopefully! Brian is doing his usual post-construction fine-tuning and the mattress will go in after he’s done with that.
A view from the interior, with new door installed.
Exterior view with new door installed. Fenders, lights and tag are also installed.
Door with screened window open. Fresh air!
Ready to roll!
Our first Teardrop of 2013 is ready to roll! It is now for sale $2795. Contact us using the link at the top our page for more information.